Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mini-Golf and Lizzards...

What do these 2 things have in common? Absolutely nothing! The 2nd night we were in Florida, we decided to go play mini-golf. We didn't want to travel far and weren't sure exactly where all the hot spots were for this type of thing, and we had a coupon for this particular one, so we chose to give it a try. Let's just say it wasn't the greatest choice.

I mean the place was ok, but where there was supposed to be water, there was none. The greens were very run down and there were little lizzards running around everywhere! We had a good time and all and it was great being able to spend quality time as a family, away from all the "worries" of this world.

One thing kinda put a damper on that though. Our 6 year old is scared to death of just about everything! Spiders, bugs, bees (she did just get stung the other day!), dogs, sometimes even people, trying new things, and now...lizzards. Every time it was her turn to putt, she would literally hit the ball while not even looking at her club or the hole, because she was too busy looking out for the lizzards that might creep up on her! It was comical, but at the same time, I felt a little bad for her, because I knew she probably wasn't enjoying this as much as I wanted her to.

Seeing her reaction to all of this made me think about all the things in my life that distract me from looking at the things that I need to be focusing on. Hebrews 12:2 says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith." So many times in my life, I lose sight of that. I am constantly looking over my shoulder at the past events that have taken place in my life that I'm not happy about or proud of...things that aren't quite going my way. And I grow tired. And at times, I may be looking forward, but not necessarily at the hole on the green. I look to the right or to the left, all the while worrying about what God has in store for our future. I distract myself from just looking at Jesus. And I start to lose heart.

For Rachel, her distractions were the lizzards. Because of that, she was off-balance, hitting without looking, and could care less where the ball was going. For me, the everyday struggles and trials of life right now are my distractions. And if I'm not in the Word, and praying to God about these, I get so off-balanced. I may half-heartedly hit the ball because I have to, but I don't care where it's going. Distractions. They are annoying for sure. And Satan will do his best to keep them around for a very long time.

So what are your "lizzards"? I don't have all the answers as to how to get rid of them, but I can tell you this: When you grow tired, don't lose heart. Jesus cares...so fix your eyes on Him.

P.S. We ended up playing mini-golf 2 more times that week...at a different location!

No comments:

In my favorite sport, tennis, it really is helpful to have a good serve. It could help you in winning more games. In the same way, life is a lot like that. We need to do our best in "serving" others. Jesus didn't come to be served, but to serve. There are many ways to do this. Just maybe, in our service, God will use us "to win one more" for Him...