Friday, June 20, 2008

I Samuel 16:7

The 4 of us were walking on the beach and I had just gotten done taking some pictures of Macayla. I mentioned that I would like to eventually be in some of the pictures since I'm the one that usually takes them of everyone else.

After I said this, Macayla looked up at me and said, "I'll take a picture of you mommy." I said back, "No, that's okay...I don't look very nice tonight for pictures." (I knew as soon as I said this, that was the wrong thing to say) Macayla then responded with, "It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside...it's what you look like on the inside." I smiled and asked her, "Where did you learn that?" (I already knew the answer, just wanted to make sure!) She pointed at me and said, "you".

At that moment, I felt both good and bad. Good because something that I try to teach my girls and have told them lots of time actually was remembered. Bad because I didn't live that out. I was teaching Macayla in that particular situation that "looks" were so much more important than heart and character.

Isn't it so easy to know all the right things we want to say and teach to our kids on how they should act and live, but so hard to carry out in our own life? 1st Corinthians 11:1 says, "Follow me, as I follow the example of Christ." In my life, I want the things that I say and the things that I do to match up. I want my girls to be able to know that they can "follow me" in my teachings as I point them to Jesus, knowing that what I tell them is true and good and right and worth living by.

I kinda blew it that day. I told Macayla one thing but did another. After failing that one, I decided to go ahead and be in some pictures that night, no matter how I looked on the outside. How I share and show my heart to those around me is so much more important...

"God judges persons differently than humans do. Men and women look at the face; God looks into the heart."
I Sam. 16:7 The Message


P.S. Thanks Macayla...

2 comments:

lindsey said...

i love this post. and the way God always uses kids to remind us of his word. i'm usually the one not in any pictures and believe that this thought will constantly be in the back of my mind...thanks for the post! i hope that you guys enjoy the rest of your summer!

~lindsey

Anonymous said...

inside or out you are beautiful to me.

In my favorite sport, tennis, it really is helpful to have a good serve. It could help you in winning more games. In the same way, life is a lot like that. We need to do our best in "serving" others. Jesus didn't come to be served, but to serve. There are many ways to do this. Just maybe, in our service, God will use us "to win one more" for Him...