Monday, November 3, 2008

Macayla Dawn

Well tonight at 6:29 p.m., our oldest daughter Macayla, will officially be 9 years old. I remember the day so well. She was born in Olney, Illinois. A long day of laboring, only to learn that she had to be born cesarean. To this new mom, that was totally unexpected! She weighed 8 lbs., 12 oz. and was 20" long with a full...and I mean FULL head of coal black hair! She was beautiful and that is an understatement! She slept all the time and was the best little baby, always smiling at people. She walked at 10 months and was talking in complete sentences way earlier than she should've been! As I reflect back to that day 9 years ago, I think of the saying that is so true..."Where has the time gone?"

I can't believe that she's 9 today...especially when I think that in 9 more years, she will be graduating from high school. YIKES! Before I had kids, I used to hear wise people say that the first five years of a child's life is so important, and to teach them all you can while they are young. I agree with that. However, I have learned that every single day is just as important, not just the days before age five. As a mom, I try to make the most of every day for my girls. I wish I could say I am successful at that each day...I'm not. I do try, though.

Each year, when my girls celebrate a birthday, I can tell that they've grown up a little...getting taller, more or less teeth, using bigger words, different interests, learning new things, the list can go on. I get most excited though, when I see my kids grow spiritually. Yes, part of that comes with age, but a huge part of that comes from us, as parents. We can't just hope that they "catch on"...we have to teach them "on purpose" the things that Jesus wants them to know. My girls will mature and grow and learn spiritually because of the job that Matt and I have in teaching them...every single day.

Happy 9th Birthday, Macayla! We love you and are proud of you! And by the way, you are still beautiful...
Mommy and Daddy

Click to play Macayla 9 year old pix
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mommy that was nice of you to make that about me. I love you so so so much.

lindsey said...

i hope that she had a wonderful birthday!

you always do a great job with your posts. and thanks for all of the wedding wishes. it was wonderful to have your parents down here for a while!!

In my favorite sport, tennis, it really is helpful to have a good serve. It could help you in winning more games. In the same way, life is a lot like that. We need to do our best in "serving" others. Jesus didn't come to be served, but to serve. There are many ways to do this. Just maybe, in our service, God will use us "to win one more" for Him...