Saturday, September 20, 2008

Survival Kit




I am a coach for the high school girls tennis team. We have been at it now for 5 weeks, with another 3 to go...and hopefully 4 if anyone goes to state. After our first match of the season, I came home to find a "Tennis Survival Kit" on the kitchen table. This special little surprise was from my supportive husband and sweet girls. As you can see in the picture, other than a tennis balloon and cards, this kit is made up of chocolate. I love chocolate!!! I was so impressed with my family's thoughtfulness. I was thinking to myself, "I will definitely need this chocolate for some extra energy to get through the long days and late nights that the tennis season always brings!"

Fast forward just a few days...I go to grab out of my "survival kit" only to find that "someone" or "someones" have been in MY stash! Most of the candy bars were already gone and I began to wonder..."And who was this survival kit really for anyway???" Apparently, not me.

Well, it's a good thing I am fine with sharing. I didn't really figure I would get all of it anyway. That made me stop and think. There's another kit that we need to have ready at all times, not just during a season, and to be able to share it. It's called the "Spiritual Survival Kit". In order to be able to share our faith with someone, we need to be equipped with what we need to carry this through. The obvious things come to mind...our Bibles, our prayer life, fellowship with other believers and solitude (or aloneness with God). These things are essential in being able to grow or survive in this world that we live in...and not just survive, but to have the ability and tools in order to share with others.

Ephesians 6:10-18 says, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests."

Just like what my "Tennis Survival Kit" was meant to do for me during my tennis season, our "Spiritual Survival Kit" can help protect us from things that our enemy tries to throw our way. It doesn't mean that those things won't ever affect us, in fact, they will and sometimes, it will be very painful. But it's better to be prepared for these things, to have some survival kit in place...so that when those times come, we will be equipped and ready to give an answer for the hope that we have. So in case you haven't done this yet, it's time to go get your survival kit ready...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am finally going to figure out how to post for you and only you.

I always love how you put everything into a spirtual perspective.

Anonymous said...

cool. love you

Amy Storms said...

Thanks for your comment. We will definitely pray for you guys! Hang in there.

Love you-
Amy

In my favorite sport, tennis, it really is helpful to have a good serve. It could help you in winning more games. In the same way, life is a lot like that. We need to do our best in "serving" others. Jesus didn't come to be served, but to serve. There are many ways to do this. Just maybe, in our service, God will use us "to win one more" for Him...