Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Topic Of "Jesus"

FYI: you only have 20 shopping days left until Christmas day! For me, this time of year means spending more time with my family that I don't get to see as much as I would like. It means "catching up" with treasured friends. It also means excitement as my husband and I watch our girls open their presents. And in this household, it is not about that guy who dresses up in a big 'ole red suit belting out "ho, ho, ho!" In this house, it's about Jesus, and celebrating His birth. As Matt reminded God's church this past Sunday, isn't it interesting how this is the only birthday party in which everyone else receives gifts except for the one who is actually celebrating a birthday?? Imagine that...inviting your friends and family over for YOUR birthday party and not receiving any gifts. Oh yes, there are gifts, but they are all exchanging them with each other! Bah Humbug!! Don't get me wrong, I like receiving gifts just like anyone, but as a family, we try to also do something for someone else as our gift to Jesus.

As a parent, I often wonder what my kids are actually picking up on. Out of all the teaching that Matt and I have done with them, of all the good and right things that we teach them, are they really getting it?? This question was answered just the other night. It was Sunday night, and the four of us were sitting around our dinner table and I mentioned to the girls that Rachel's teacher (Rachel is in kindergarten) sent home a note that I needed to go over with them. The note explained how in each home, the topic of "Santa" is personal to each family. And that all of the kids will be writing letters to Santa and mailing them in a special mailbox. And if we have told our child about Santa, to please ask our kids to not talk about it at school. So this was the dialogue that night:


me: "Rachel, your teacher sent a note home last week. I need to tell you something about it. Daddy and I know that you don't believe in Santa and that he is pretend, and that Jesus is real. But some kids don't know that Santa is pretend, so don't talk about it with the other kids in your class."

Rachel: "Okay then, I'll just keep my mouth shut and talk about Jesus!"


Okay, I suspect about right now, whoever is reading this is laughing! That's okay, because Matt and I did too. After Rach responded that way, under my breath I said "Like that wouldn't cause any problems either!" I LOVE the fact that Rachel is so proud to talk about Jesus. He's the real deal to her. And I'm not going to quench her little spirit.

After reading the note that was sent home, this is the idea I came up with. Let me know if you agree. I occasionally "substitute" at my girls school...I'm thinking of supplying blank pieces of paper to all of the kids out there and having them write a letter to Jesus this Christmas season...what do you think?? Because this topic of "Jesus"...well, it's very personal to this family. And like Rachel, we want to "talk about Jesus"!!!

By the way, don't get me wrong. I don't judge those parents who have their kids write out "wish lists" to Santa...as a child, I thought Santa was real. And I turned out alright...hold your tongue Jeff and Jon! :) It actually doesn't bother me at all knowing that kids believe in Santa. It really is harmless. And I'm only kidding about the letters to Jesus. Even though, I would really enjoy doing that! Imagine the conversation at the elementary school! It would probably go something like this: "Um, Mrs. Bycroft...you need to leave!" :) It's just a good thing that Matt and I can go along with Rachel writing her letter to Santa and be okay with that. But I "wish" this year, that everyone else can be okay with her talking about Jesus too!

2 comments:

Matt B said...

jenn, that is great stuff. god has really blessed you with an insightful mind and a wonderful way of communicating truth in a simple manner. love ya keep up the good stuff.

Kathy Comp said...

You are a wonderful person. God will honor your commitment to Him. It is eye opening when the world is blind to politically correct prejudice.

In my favorite sport, tennis, it really is helpful to have a good serve. It could help you in winning more games. In the same way, life is a lot like that. We need to do our best in "serving" others. Jesus didn't come to be served, but to serve. There are many ways to do this. Just maybe, in our service, God will use us "to win one more" for Him...