Saturday, November 10, 2007

Serve to win what??

We had been in Kansas a few years before I decided to start up a womens tennis league. I thought it sounded like a great idea: 1) because I enjoy tennis and 2) I was hoping it would be a good outreach. In order to get it started, though, I needed a "catchy" name. My husband is the preacher at our church we serve, RiverTree Christian Church. So I came up with the name "RiverTree Racquets...serving to win one more."



For those of you that are NOT tennis fans, I'm sorry. As for those of you who know a little bit about the game, you would know that your serve is really important. I'm not saying that you cannot win a game having a lousy serve, however, it really helps to have a strong consistent one. Perhaps you could win "one more" game if your serve was actually in. Ask my husband...he needs his serve to ever beat me!



The same is true of our Christian life. In Matthew 20:28, it is said that Jesus "did not come to be served, but to serve". Who is he serving? Your neighbors, your friends, people you work with, your family, your teachers, your enemies, your coaches, your mailman, strangers, people in all different kinds of walks of life...people like you and me. And as we serve, let us make the most of those opportunities (Eph. 5:16). These encounters may only happen one time. Perhaps when we serve, we could win "one more" for Jesus.



So you see, you don't have to be a Pete Sampris, Andre Agassi, Gabriella Sabatini or Andy Roddick to serve. You don't even ever have to pick up a tennis racquet or a tennis ball if you don't want to. But look around. If you see a need, "just do it". Serve. Help out. By the way, this serving thing?? It's not a suggestion...it's a command. So go "serve2win1more"!!!

"...he who wins souls is wise" Proverbs 11:30

No comments:

In my favorite sport, tennis, it really is helpful to have a good serve. It could help you in winning more games. In the same way, life is a lot like that. We need to do our best in "serving" others. Jesus didn't come to be served, but to serve. There are many ways to do this. Just maybe, in our service, God will use us "to win one more" for Him...